Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Corners of Carpets

I sat behind them, and watched
as the little boys crept up to the edge of the carpet
and peered off of it, as if looking across the great wide sea...
which in this case was merely the
hardwood floor leading into the hallway.
But it made me think back on the time when
I believed with all that was in me,
that my livingroom could become the whole world.
The couch, Mount Olympus,
The bookcase, a stretching skyscraper,
The patterns in the rug, roads and byways for my boxcars,
A scarf strewn on the floor, a bending river,
The legs of the coffee table, a redwood forest,
A folded book, a snug tent.

...and all that mattered was the story that was taking place in my imagination. Reality was what was true in my heart moment by moment. I got to taste a little bit of that today.
Thanks, boys.  Keep crawling to the edge of your carpet.  Keep building those memories that, when you get older, will be the sweetest thing your heart can taste.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on that same note: watch this movie I took yesterday. :-)  Rain is good.  Dancing in it, is better. ;-)

No comments: