Monday, October 6, 2014

Song

You said you had a song to play me. I was both nervous and excited. You said it was the truest one you'd ever written. You strummed a little -  and I could tell it would be sad, weighted with heartbreak and discomfort... But while also ringing with lovely bells of truth. You said, don't be sad, not completely, because at the end of it, it turns into "The Universe" by Gregory Alan Isakov.

A mean old church lady said we had to get out of the sanctuary, and find somewhere else to play. She led me to a room off to the side, and you said you would follow. I waited there a long time. With each passing minute I grew more anxious, fearful you would never come. At this moment, too, I started to feel the morning reach inside my dream, trying to wake me. But I fought to stay asleep, to hear you. I placed my ear against the wall, hoping you were somewhere out there, playing it and I could hear it's faint echo. Slowly, the morning light was too strong, and poured in on my face, and I couldn't stay asleep anymore. I woke up.

I know it was just a dream, 
but somehow this morning, 
I'm waiting still to hear it.

No comments: