Friday, November 6, 2009

And Fall Brings It's Most Tender Love...

Once again, this crisp falltide finds me spending days at the Shelter. And I have a new little loved one, bless his heart. How do these babies always manage to wrap me around their tiny hearts so fast and so tightly? It baffles me every time... and it enchants and pleases me and gives me so much peace and contentment everytime as well!

I had to wait ever so long to see this one's face; he hid it from me the first two times I saw him - cuddled in blankets, half asleep, half blocking out the world with his tiny fists, and firmly shut eyes.

But today, those little creases opened wide, and I was graced to receive a smile, escaping the cracks of his mouth, and pomegranate cheeks. (and itwas well worth the wait)

Poor boy has been in and out of shelters his whole short life. 2 1/2 years, and so much life - too much of the bad kind for this little heart. He does not say a word, but merely mumbles and coos, like an infant much his junior. He's not a normal little boy. But how could he be? He's had to suffer the effects of a deteriorating and failing world, time and time again.

They say he has autism. I think he's just hiding, and denying, and protecting himself. Little two-year-old soldier, my love.

Today we just sat outside on the swing and sang softly, and felt the cool autumn wind on our faces, watching the willow bend and float above us, and the cars pass by in the intersection just beyond the firestation.

And as we rocked... hope and love prevailed. We snuggled close... And as I wrapped him in my flannel shirt, I knew that this boy has a chance...

...and I want to do all I can so that it doesn't pass him by...

No comments: