Monday, March 29, 2010

Memoirs

Some memories from "Life on The Road,
Living in a Bus, Summer, 2006 - Winter 2008"...

I remember the time when: Ceasar Salad on the steps of the bus was the end of a perfect day.

I remember the time when: Mom sat and wrote out ALL the lyrics to the Johnny Cash song "I've Been Everywhere, Man," by listening to it over and over.

I remember the time when: Breaking down became as common as getting gas, and how we all became so unfazed about it towards the end.  Routine becomes routine, no matter how stressful it might have first been.

I remember the time when: Pat and I would lay in the greens of Parking Lot's and talk about what it felt like to be getting older; and how at that time, reality and dreams had no distinction. 

I remember the time when: Walmarts were made either "Premium" or "Low-End" depending on whether they had a massage chair in the medicine department or not. :-)

I remember the time when: The Great wide open was my road, the Rocky mountains were my backyard, The great starry sky was my roof, Truckers were my neighbors and Walmart parkinglots were where I lay my head.

I remember the time when: I'd wake up with a "thunk" in the middle of the night because I had bonked my head on the underside of my parents' bed, less than a foot above me. ;-)

I remember the time when: My heart longed for home... but the ache was able to make me say things and understand things about my friends that I never could have, had I stayed with them.

I remember the time when: We'd read books aloud over campfires as coyotes howled behind us, and raccoons snuck in and out of the shadows and smoke.

No comments: