Friday, December 25, 2009

Joyoux Noel

The greatest gift I received this Christmas came to me after the X-mas Eve Service at church. I was standing alone along the back wall of the building, watching people pass by, when along came a family I've loved for a long time. Over a year ago, when I worked in Nursury, baby Joey would come every week, screaming and crying, for just about the entire two hour service. I would usually hold him during this time... and nothing I'd do could ever console him. He hated human touch, and all the usual baby-soothing tricks just didn't do a thing for him.

Finally, after months and months, he began to soften. I'd spend the time praying for him and his family... and slowly, slowly he cried less and less, and every so often he'd even smile... for a split second. But he was still very reserved and tentative.

Well, I haven't worked in the Nursury for at least the last nine months. As he and his Daddy walked by me, Richard (his dad), said, "Joey! It's Maddy... give her a hug! And say Merry Christmas!" And to my utter surprise and delight, that little tinker left his father's arms and gave me the biggest two-year-old hug I'd ever received! It was almost as if the very hand of God reached through him like a puppet, and was hugging me tight.

I couldn't have asked for anything more this Christmas.
Joey remembered me! And he wasn't afraid. And he smiled.
Thanks Santa.

No comments: